Wednesday, February 23, 2011

Illustration Friday- Layer


When I started this blog I was always planning to include sketches and works in progress because I love when other artists are open about their development. Now, I consider all my illustration thus far to be a work in progress but I have neglected to include sketches amongst my more recent posts. In an effort to fulfill my good intentions of a blog rich in ideas, sketches and experimentation I thought I should include the original sketch I did for this weeks Illustration Friday topic; layer. 


I need to draw more adults, boys and animals so I packed all three into this one (Those are meant to be bilbies, by the way). I love parts of this sketch more than the final illustration. It always makes me sad when some of the lovely sketchy qualities are lost when I transfer the image onto watercolour paper. This is a problem I really need to find a solution to.

Enjoy the rest of your week everyone!

17 comments:

  1. i really like this illustration of the layers (and abundant treasures) beneath our feet! your work is compelling and pleasant to look at. thanks for sharing your process, too :O)
    coral

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wonderful textured feeling in this. Thanks also for sharing the before pixs. Just wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is Great! Wow,Love the animals:)

    ReplyDelete
  4. My daughter and I have enjoyed looking at this illustration. Lovely how many surprises can be found in the Earth layers.

    ReplyDelete
  5. this is really nice work. i love the layers even in the layers of dirt! very nice. thanks for sharing the process too. it's nice to have a sneak peek inside of your work!

    ReplyDelete
  6. "This is a great interpretation of the "IF" theme. I like how you executed it too, there is some really fun story telling going on in the piece.

    The soft colors in all your paintings have a really nice feel to them.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Very nice! And thanks for sharing your process!

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is sooooo wonderful! It looks like it came straight out of a picture book. I love the teddy with the eye patch and being able to see undergound and ho wthat kid is putting so much oomph into his shoveling. Fantastic piece!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Charming...I always love imaginative renderings of animals' "homes"!

    ReplyDelete
  10. This is lovely! Love the interpretation, and soft colours.... Great to see your progress!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks everybody. I really enjoyed doing this one so I'm glad you like it :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. This is lovely, and a fantastic idea. I love all the details - right down to the little worms! :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love the pipes and worms. Beautiful colors as well! Thanks for your comment!

    ReplyDelete